This morning, Sauerkraut and I were talking about some of her heroes, some cats that have been popular in the media and shared messages of courage, honor and achievement (her words), so we decided to list our favorite.
10. Casper the Commuting Cat - Sauerkraut says that if a cat can figure out how to walk through crowds of humans without getting its tail stepped on, and then how to buy a bus ticket, then it deserves to be in the top 10.
9. Keyboard Cat - because playing the piano takes years of dedication, hard work, and sitting through endless other cats pounding away poorly on the keyboard at grade school recitals.
8. Library cats - The relationship between cats and libraries dates back to ancient times when Herodotus described the existence of libraries in ancient Egyptian temples, and cats kept rats and mice from eating the valuable paper. You go, ancient forepawthers!
7. All Cats in the Internet Cat Video Festival - well, because cats on the internet are all awesome, right? #RhetoricalQuestions
6. Troll Cats (or trollnøste) - These are awesome, because who WOULDN'T want to be made of human hair, nails and wood shavings, then go steal milk from cows and cream from households?
5. Morris the Cat - The world's most finicky cat, Sauerkraut can associate with Morris as she is almost as finicky. Butter? Heck yeah she loves it. But buttery biscuits? Not so much.
4. Felix the Cat - "Felix" in Latin means Lucky, and that was one lucky cat, I tell you what.
3. Grumpy Cat - Tardar Sauce, the calico mix breed of internet and television fame, has made a name for herself by being just who the heck she is. There aren't many creatures walking the earth who are so skilled at being themselves that they can be grouchy all the time and still loved by everyone.
2. Mimsie the Cat - Mimsie is the lion that roars at the beginning of all Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer movies and television shows. That he's named "Mimsie the Cat" makes Sauerkraut aspire to have a roar that grand. Or any kind of meow that you can hear, for that matter.
1. Lil Bub - Sauerkraut loves Lil Bub because she is friendly, sweet, little, and loved by all. It makes Sauerkraut want to lose her snarky attitude. Okay, that's a lie - she'll never lose her snark.
And the not-so-great:
0. Garfield - The lasagna-loving feline gets equally positive and negative marks because although over-eating is a real problem for cats, Sauerkraut does love her brother The Brockstar who, shall we say, could stand to lose a few pounds.
-1. Bonsai Kitten - even though this isn't real, just the thought or a joke about growing a cat in a jar so it takes its shape just isn't funny.
Sauerkraut gives her paw of approval to this list!